Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention

Lead poisoning usually happens when children ingest (eat) dust that has lead in it.  Children may also eat chips of paint or soil that has lead in it. 

There are many other places children are exposed to lead in the environment.  Many of these can be found in household items, children's toys, jewelry, and other items marketed to and for children.  Below are several links to resources to keep you informed about lead and lead poisoning prevention.

Does your child need to be tested for lead poisoning?

Yes, all children in Connecticut, at about ages one and two years, must be tested for lead poisoning...it's the law!  If your child is under six years of age and has not previously been tested, a blood test is also required.  If your child is at risk of lead poisoning at other ages, have your child tested at those times too.

Blood tests will reveal the amount of lead in your child's blood at the time of the test.  If the level is high, your child will need additional testing.

If you have questions about childhood lead testing, talk to  your child's pediatrician or call the Eastern Highlands Health District office at 860-429-3325.

The information links above and many more lead information resources can be found at the Connecticut Department of Public Health's Lead Poisoning Prevention and Control Program website link below:

CT DPH Lead Poisoning Prevention and Control Program

Keep it Clean: Lead-Safe Painting and Home Improvement

The Keep It Clean Campaign is a regional effort throughout New England that is dedicated to eliminating lead poisoning in children and adults as the result of home improvement projects. This campaign is implemented through local hardware and paint stores. By educating the consumer through customer interaction, we hope that the word will be spread on how to work in a lead-safe manner.

Lead in Drinking Water

Sometimes older homes or apartments can have lead in the drinking water as a result of corrosion of materials in household water pipes or pipe connections. When water stands in lead pipes or plumbing systems that contain leaded materials for several hours, the lead may dissolve into the drinking water. This means the first water drawn from the tap after sitting for hours could contain elevated levels of lead.  Read more here:

EPA links to lead in drinking water