Preventing Illness and Promoting Wellness for Communities in Eastern Connecticut

  • Andover
  • Ashford
  • Bolton
  • Chaplin
  • Columbia
  • Coventry
  • Mansfield
  • Scotland
  • Tolland
  • Willington

Food Service

Food Recalls

THE FDA MODEL FOOD CODES ARE COMING - The Food Protection Program at EHHD realizes that this will be a transition for you and for us as we learn the new requirements.  We understand that changes of this magnitude can generate many questions and is never easy. We are however committed to working with you throughout the transition process as we collectively ensure the quality of your product, and the health and safety of your patrons.  In response to these new changes we have created a new webpage which will contain information from the Connecticut Department of Public Health as it becomes available, and serve as repository for new forms and documents.

Please click this link to be taken to this new page, or enter WWW.EHHD.ORG/FDACODES into the address bar on your browser.



Eastern Highlands Health District regulates all food service establishments operating within the district through our food service licensing and inspection program.  Any place where food is prepared and intended for individual portion service is considered a food service establishment including restaurants, cafeterias, grocery and convenience stores, coffee shops and delis.  Caterers and itinerant food vendors are also regulated by the health district through our licensing and inspection program.  


EHHD requires a food service establishmnent license application and a food service plan review application for all new food service establishments.  The application and plan review process not only ensures compliance with the Connecticut Public Health Code, it also results in a facility that fosters safe food handling procedures, adequate sanitation and good personal hygiene practices to provide a high quality, safe product for customers.


Food Service Establishments


License Application Process and Plan Review Application Process


              FORMS                                                                      REFERENCE



 FSE License Application    EHHD Food Service Fee Schedule
FSE Plan Review Application
   EHHD Sanitary Code, Section 4
Health Code Agreement Checklist    Guidelines for Classifying FSEs
CDPDH-FSE Public Water System Screening Form     QFO Requirements for Class III & IV 
FSE Ownership Transfer Screening Form     CT Public Health Code Section 19-13-b42

FSE Ownership Transfer Screening Form Instructions

Alternate QFO - Alternate Person in Charge Demonstrated Knowledge Statement

QFO Replacement Notification

Approved testing organizations and Tests for Certified Food Protection Manager (formerly know as Qualified Food Operator)

Connecticut Restaurant Association Servsafe Manager 2022 Class Schedule

Catering Food Service Establishment - A business involved in the sale or distribution of food and drink prepared in bulk in one geographic location for service in individual portions at another or which involves preparation and service of food on public or private premisesnot under the ownership or control of the operator of such services. (CT Public Health Code Section 19-13-B49)


Itinerant Food Vending Establishment - A food vending business serving food or drink from any establishment or conveyance without a fixed location and with a connection to a water supply and sewage disposal system.  (CT Public Health Code Section 19-13-B48)


Itinerant Food Vendor Information Form        



Itinerant Food Vendor - Base of Operation Declaration Form


Temporary Food Service Events and Farmer's Markets

Per the Connecticut Public Health Code and Eastern Highlands Health District Sanitary Code, individuals and organizations serving food to    the public on a temporary basis (1-14 days) are operating a Temporary Food Establishment and must apply for a Temporary Food Service License for each event.  The purpose of the temporary food service license and guidelines is to help you to minimize the risk of foodborne illness from the event.  By following these guidelines, you can help ensure the safety of the foods served and, in turn, protect the health of your patrons. 

Exceptions are:

Pot luck Supper: A non-commercial temporary food service function in which many people fully prepare, in their homes, food items or "dishes" that are offered and available for public consumption at the function.  No food preparation occurs at the function and the event must clearly publicize home prepared foods

Bake Sale: A non-commercial temporary food service event at which only traditional bake sale food products are sold.  Examples include, but are not limited to cakes, cookies and bread.

Temporary Food Service license application (Apply Online) and temporary food event (TFE) guidelines 

Farmer's Market Vendors

Farmers' Market Vendors serving food, serving samples or conducting cooking demonstrations are all regulated as Temporary Food Establishments and require a Temporary Food Service License as well.  Farmers who are selling only fresh, raw, unprocessed produce at a farmers' market typically do not need a temporary food service license. 

Farmers' Market Temporary Food Service license application (Apply Online) and temporary food event (TFE) guidelines

Additional Information for Temporary Food Service Events & Farmers' Markets

     DPH Compliance Guide for Temporary Foodservice Events  

     Food Service (Individual Portions), Sampling and Cooking Demonstrations

      Base of Operation Declaration Form  

     Farmers Market Purchases for Food Service Establishments

     Sample Handwashing Station for temporary food event

       Sketch of Temporary Food Event Setup